Saturday, May 11, 2013

Prague: Czechoslovakia the Paris of Eastern Europe


Prague the Paris of Eastern Europe.  At least that is what everyone told me when I said I was going to Prague.  You have to spend the weekend there.  I had the choice between Prague and Milan.  I chose Prague.  I want to do more of Italy than just Milan.  What a choice though right? Czechoslovakia is one of the few countries not on using the Euro, they use the Czech crown.  If I hadn’t have checked before I left I wouldn’t have known.  Also no visa is required.  Although I did tell my travel companion the day before that he needed one.  He almost had a heart attack.  I think he's still mad at me.

One of the few cities not hit as hard by the World Wars leaving the majority of their structures, statues and buildings still intact.  Cobblestone streets busy with small sleek European cars.  The Vltava River flowing majestically through the city reflecting the afternoon sun back to the passerby.  The famous bridges, stunning market squares, and bustling side streets all lending to the mystique of Prague.  
 








Most notably in the old town square is a medieval astronomical clock.  It is the third oldest clock of its kind in the world.   See the link for the hourly ceremony.  It’s beautiful and fun to watch.  The entire square comes to a halt and all eyes go up.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk9lwsenZOo.

Beer is plentiful and cheap in Prague.  It’s actually cheaper than water.  Every restaurant we went to there were flights of beer samples for sale.  Venison was a popular dish served at a majority of the restaurants that we went to for dinner.  My favorite dish was made of venison in cranberry gravy with dumplings and for dessert blueberry dumplings with fresh cream.  It was to die for.  They do not skimp on the serving size.  It was a good thing we had several blocks to walk back to our hotel.   Oddly we were seated family style at the next open seats next to thankfully an couple American college students.   One of my favorite nights sharing traveling experiences at this local place in downtown Prague.
Pictures to come if I can ever figure out how to download my camera!  Prague is definitely a must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment