Thursday, May 16, 2013

BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT... Phoenix Arizona fun in the sun


When you think of Phoenix you probably think of the sun, snowbirds, maybe the Diamondbacks baseball team?  Do you think of a vacation spot with lots of fun things to do?   It's one of my favorite places to go.  Party because my allergies don't act up and partially because one of my best friends lives there. 

A ticket to Phoenix is usually inexpensive if you can pick when you want to go.   It's a major stopping point for United, Southwest and American.   I caught a non-stop flight on Southwest for less than $250  round trip.  I like to use their website.  www.southwest.com  They have some good web only and last minute fares.  I do recommend paying the early bird check in for $25.  That way you get the seat you want.

Started out my long weekend with crepes at this awesome local place.  Cups N' Crepes.  It's a long wait for a seat, but well worth it.  I had a BLTA (avacado mmmm) savory crepe.   We sat and drank our coffee and tea and decided to have a lingonberry & creme cheese crepe for dessert.  I've never had a lingonberry, but I tell you... I'll have one again if it comes dressed in a crepe like that!  They had smooth soothing coffee as well.  Here's their link.  I recommend perusing their menu before you go there's too much yummy stuff to make up your mind. Here are some photos to do the food more justice from the owner.  Thanks so much Terrie!   I can't wait for my next visit to your business!   Cups N' Crepes


That evening we headed to the local Mesa Theatre playhouse and saw She Stoops to Conquer.  Delightful, funny and we almost had a chicken leg thrown at our faces from one of the actors who's character was continually eating. 

A couple nights later we enjoyed the Glendale Jobing.com Arena with Bon Jovi.  Jon definitely still has it.  Both our arms ached from "Raising our hands"!  We have been trying to get into the Yard House a second time but to no avail.  This year we came 3 hrs early and still couldn't get in for a table, two hour wait!  Maybe next year we'll go.  We decided to forgo food and get a beer.


Hell's Half Acre looked a little daunting but with no line and several places to sit we entered at our own risk.  The music was all 80's hair bands including several Bon Jovi tunes.  Our waitresses were scantily clad.  We decided if you got it, flaunt it.   The actual concert of course was the shining event of the evening.  We were tired but wired from it on our way out.


Every day while I'm there we start our morning with a cup of coffee from the It's a Grind Coffee House. http://www.itsagrind.com/ The coffee here is fabulous, not bitter, not overly milky, they always ask before they put whip on it and it's fresh ground to order. I love it.  It might also be the outside seating they have and that they never kick us out no matter if we sit there for 2-3 hours or not.

The last place we went to was TQLA.  A tex-mex place that served, as you may have guessed, tequila of all kinds.   They had a flight of different margaritas that I really wanted to try, but I had a plane to catch.  I did have two blood orange margaritas and the steak nachos that were to delicious.  Sitting out in the sun I really could have basked in the heat, the food and the yummy alcohol, but someone said blueberry cheesecake.  Homemade.  I'm game.  Somehow we went from we'll split it to I'll have my own thanks!

All in all a very satisfying trip as always.  Dry heat or not, Arizona is one of my favorite places to visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment