Tuesday, May 21, 2013

PACKING... ESSENTIALS... THE ELUSIVE 1 QUART BAG

I am a light packer when it comes to traveling.   Occasionally I may over pack on a vacation trip, but when I travel for business I pack as light as possible.  I HATE absolutely HATE having to check luggage.  That's a whole different blog post!  Generally my clothes and shoes are all laid out within a matter of minutes, what I struggle with is what will I put in that elusive 1 quart bag that the TSA will screen like it's a living child.   Plus let's be honest I need to at least attempt to still look presentable while I travel, so what do I consider essential when I go. 

Let's cover a minimalists version of what should go in that little bag.  Keep in mind that everything liquid has to be 3 oz or less or TSA will throw IT OUT!  Few things are more annoying than watching your favorite gel or lotion go in the garbage.  I've had an entire bottle of gel thrown out that I had just bought! Similar to watching dollar bills going in the garbage don't you think?

So here for your perusal is Purple Shoes' Essential list

1. Conditioner - most hotels have shampoo, or shampoo and conditioner in one.  I always bring my favorite conditioner so at least my hair is moisturized
2. Lotion -  the nice hotels will have some, but the more off hotels will not.  Skin gets dry while traveling, trust me it's a necessity.  I like Nivea Creme in the little tin can or AMIR essential extracts. Moisture without the oily feeling. Sometimes I take two bottles!
3. A purchase of TSA approved bottles. These are available at just about any Wal-mart, Target and pharmacies.  I have plastic one's I can write on with a marker and that have colored caps.   Fill one with your favorite cleanser and one with your favorite moisturizer.  Your face is very sensitive to change.  When you are traveling is not the time to change your cleansers you are stressed enough.
4. Toothbrush - I like the electronic travel one available in multicolor and comes with an additional head from www.ulta.com. It comes with a cap as well to keep that nasty bacteria out.  If you don't use an electronic tooth brush purchase a cap or carrier for your toothbrush.  Nothing nastier than some gel on your toothbrush that shouldn't be there!
5. Toothpaste - so many kinds in the travel section pick your favorite.
6. A washcloth in a plastic baggie. In Europe and often times in Mexico there won't be on in your room.  Don't ask. I have yet to figure out why!
Makeup as long as it's powder doesn't have to go in the baggie, it can go in a compartment in your bag.  At least I haven't had a problem with this any time.  TSA may have something else to say.   My foundation is even powder or cream to powder so I don't have to deal with this!  I will often take a little bottle of hair spray that goes in the baggie and A LOT of hair ties.  Scrunchies and bobby pins are your friends ladies while you travel.  For men... look for the small bottles of hair gel in the sample areas of the store or use one of your approved TSA bottles.   I almost always stuff away a chap stick.  This will help with cracked skin and your lips.  I also always take perfume.  I feel naked without it, which is a bad feeling when you are traveling!! Especially considering where all I go.

What are some of your favorite "essentials"!???




No comments:

Post a Comment