Thursday, June 27, 2013

HISTORIC HAYES HOUSE...DINNER, BATHTUB AND FRENCH TOAST






Running Away
Sometimes you just need to get away, not just on a vacation, but run away from people, work, the daily grind that bears down on us all.  I needed that last weekend.  My favorite stress relief  is traveling, but I can’t afford much monetarily or time wise for vacation right now.   A massage and a really big bath tub would be perfect.  Alas I don’t have a really big bath tub and my favorite massage therapist doesn’t work weekends.    A bed and breakfast is a perfect idea for a weekend getaway.  I found the Historic Hayes House nestled in Muskogee, Oklahoma, roughly fifty miles southeast outside of Tulsa.  Originally built by Mr. Hayes who was a governor hopeful.   Jim and Brenda Holder have turned this house into a haven.   There was a wedding going on at the house so I chose to keep to myself for the weekend.  I did get the in room massage, the dinner they serve and breakfast the next morning. 

The Room
Summer heat has started in Oklahoma entering the air conditioned First Lady's Suite was a welcome escape.  The queen size bed was piled with pillows and blankets.  Two chairs and a chaise lounger for sitting and reading.   Cable TV and a DVD/VCR were available in the room.  Just outside the door was a small collection of movies, Very thoughtful of the hosts.  There is a refrigerator and a microwave in the room as well with an assortment of soda and water.  Jim and Brenda are sweet enough to include snack crackers and popcorn for a late night snack.  






The Bathtub
Yes, I realize it is completely insane to dedicate a section of the blog to a bathtub, but then I'm a bathtub connoisseur.   I love a gigantic oval garden tub with jets!  Although jets and bubbles really don't mix well or they mix a little too well.  Here is a picture of the tub and you will understand why I am dedicating a section!  I took two baths in twenty four hours and finished two magazines. 

The Massage
Even on the short two days notice Jim was able to book me an hour with a local massage therapist.  I wasn't really sure of the protocol for an in-room massage so I waited rather impatiently for my masseuse to show up.  To my surprise an elderly gentleman knocked on my door with a quiet voice and soothing demeanor.   I  was a little nervous as I'm not too keen on having some strange man touching me but when he got out the lotion and the hot stones I completely forgot about him.   I wouldn't trade him for my weekly massage therapist, but it was relaxing and worked out some kinks. 


Dinner
The house itself is stunning with all its old time charm.  A grand piano and several older couches grace the sitting room.  A gorgeous dining room with colored tiles on the fireplace.  Soft music playing in the background made for a relaxing dinner.  I was served a five course dinner that was beyond delicious.   The first course was fresh jumbo shrimp cocktail sitting on crushed ice with the cutest little porcelain pot  full of homemade cocktail sauce.  I hate to admit I wolfed that down in anticipation of what was next.   A spinach and strawberry salad replaced the empty spot on my fine china plate.   They make their own citrus and poppy seed.  Jim should bottle this and sell it as a Hayes House specialty at the local farmer's markets.   I would buy it.  




The whole pallet cleaning thing is kind of an eye roll thing for me normally, but I did enjoy the raspberry compote sorbet.  Who doesn't like ice cream in the middle of their meal? By the time my meal came I was ready to EAT!  I was a little skeptical at first as my dinner plate had pan fried green beans, baby new potatoes and a carrot soufflé along with the chicken phyllo with hot mustard sauce.   So many vegetables.  I'm a convert.  I actually ate my carrot soufflé before anything else.  That was wow.  I mean I thought about asking for seconds wow.  The chicken was perfect, moist, with the mustard sauce adding just the right tang.   Dessert was a white chocolate crème with a brandy wine drizzle and strawberries.  I licked this plate too... just couldn't help it.  With a full happy belly I looked forward to a quiet night in my room with a movie and a good book.     

 
French Toast
I am not a morning person.  Most people that know me know not to talk to me until I've had my first sip of some form of caffeine.  So when I tell you I rolled my butt out of bed at 8 o'clock on a Sunday morning just for breakfast I tell you that I did that only for the review, but ended up staying for the French toast.  There was a lovely fruit, cream and nut parfait, but the French toast was worth getting out of bed for.  Orange and blueberry stuffed French toast with maple sausage links.  No need for syrup here the creamy innards of the French toast made up for this on each crunchy chewy bite on my tongue. 















Delightful
I would recommend the Hayes house to anyone that needed a getaway.  Weekend or weekday.  Jim and Brenda are sweet and kind.  The house is old school charm with twenty first century amenities.  If I can, I will be dragging my boyfriend back there again soon. For more information please check out the http://www.historichayeshouse.com.  Tell Jim and Brenda I said hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment