Saturday, April 27, 2013

Oddities...

I've been traveling over 15 years now.  I've been to a couple continents and a multitude of countries. I frankly love to travel.  I notice the odd in the places we go.  I thought I'd share a few of the weird or strange things that I've seen over my travels.

China - toilet sometimes is a home in the floor and there may not be toilet paper available. This is not in the hotels and is usually finds the further interior in China you go. Always take Kleenex and hand sanitizer! 10 min is never 10 min

Thailand - Fresh fish has a whole new meaning when the menu is on a chalk board and you see your cook out on the side of the restaurant catching your food!

Mexico - Several co-workers and I were at a nice restaurant in San Luis del Rio.  It had it's own bull fighting pen and... automated  toilet paper dispensers.   I hope no one ever needed more than the 5 sheets it gave and you could not be in a hurry to get the TP either!.   

Czechoslovakia -  My friend and I were in Prague and stopped at a traditional Czech restaurant.  The waiter asked, two?  We said yes and we were seated family style next two another couple.. of young men.  Thankfully they spoke English as well, but talk about awkward.  Ordering together, but a separate bill to a whole new level!

Taiwan - bumble bees and formaldehyde beer need I say more!

Korea -   I tend to get sinus issues while on a long plane trip or multiple plane trips.  It was no surprise when I came down so ill I couldn't stand to get on the plane in Seoul, Korea. Our translator took me to what looked like pharmacy where the guy behind the counter told me to say ah, felt my glands and finally slapped a double pack of large anti-biotic on the counter.  Take two a day you'll feel better before you get on the plane tomorrow.  He was not kidding.  I don't want to know what I took, but I know that is some of the best sinus infection medication I've had in my life. 

It doesn't matter where you go, most of the time it's the odd and strange that make a trip memorable!

1 comment: